Get a Food Handlers Permit

Food Handlers PermitWho needs to obtain a food handlers permit?  Anyone working in the food industry, whether you’re a dishwasher or server, you need this permit. The Bear River Health Department holds regular food handlers classes and online classes that are provided by state approved trainers. Read more for more information on requirements.


Online Food Handlers Training Course

Each online training provider may set their own training costs and have different styles of teaching. Some of these providers will also have their courses available in multiple languages with full audio and visual. We encourage everyone to visit each of these providers to find which curriculum might best suit their needs.

The State of Utah sanctions online training through APPROVED VENDORS. Please be aware, there are many online outlets claiming to offer Utah food handler cards at additional charges and fees. Training from sources not on the state's website will not be accepted.


Utah Department of Health Approved Providers

Classroom Food Handler Training Course

Classes are offered on a first come first serve basis.  A picture ID is required to be shown at the time of registration. A permit may not be issued without a picture ID. Registration begins 30 minutes before the start of class.  Participants will be required to take a test once the class has been completed. A class may be taught and the test administered at your establishment. To arrange an on-site class please call the health department location nearest you.

The cost is $20  
Classes are offered during the following days and times:

Every Monday from 3:30-5:00

85 East 1800  North
Call (435) 792-6570

Brigham City:
The 2nd, 4th, and 5th Thursday from 3:30 – 5:00 

Bear River Health Department – South Building, 800 W. 992 S., Brigham City
Call (435) 734-0845

1st  and 3rd Thursday from 3:30 -5:00 - 440 West 600 North Tremonton
Call (435) 257-3318

Spanish Speaking Classes

Second Tuesday of every month at the Bear River Health Department
Environmental Health Division, 85 East 1800 North

Class starts  at 3:00 pm.  Call (435) 792-6570

Brigham and Tremonton:
Classes are provided by appointment. Please call 435-695-2061 in Brigham and 257-3318 in Tremonton.

Replacement Cards of Transfers

To get a replacement food handler card call the Environmental Health Division at 792-6570. The cost is $3.00

If you have moved from another county in Utah and had a current Food Handlers Card, a transfer of the card may be made for $3.00. Contact the Environmental Health Division for more information 792-6570.